Tuesday, September 30, 2008

tiya monkey...

...This is the Place Heritage Park....
...it's MUCH more than "just a monument"...

...it's little train rides, big train rides, pioneers, handcarts, horehound candy......and Lucky the horse, and "Tiya" our friend! Pony rides!
I'd heard about Hippotherapy used in many ways, including helping autistic children, and children with other learning delays, and speech delays. I thought I would see what happened when we put our Boo on a horse, so I brought her to the only pony rides that I knew of....and, wow! She immediately lost inhibitions that otherwise render her shy and quiet. She was talking to the people, to the animals, pointing to objects, naming things...I was amazed! We immediately bought a season pass and bring her for the pony rides. Boo made a friend she calls "Tiya," who was especially helpful and understanding of Boo's needs. Boo returned the favor by calling her favorite stuffed monkeys: Tiya monkey, and Lucky monkey, after a favored horse.

2 comments:

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I don't know much about this program,(Kids On The Move) but Anna (Ward) Stoddard's little girl does it and I think they do Horse Therapy. I have no idea if you qualify of course, but if you haven't yet, you might look into it.

http://kidsonthemove.org/early_intervention/eligibility.html

Robin said...

What a great thing to do for her.